This post is based at Maidstone Hospital within the Department of Cardiology, Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust. The post-holder will be part of the Medical Registrar Rota and will be an integral member of the multidisciplinary cardiac team and may lead specific duties as appropriate. The appointment is for 1 year commencing in October. This post will provide excellent experience in general internal medicine and Cardiology at registrar level.
- Grade: ST3 /ST4
- Location: The postholder will be based at the Maidstone Hospital. They will work Cardiac Cath Lab, Coronary Care Unit and other wards within the hospital.
- Qualifications & Professional registration required: Registered medical qualifications; Full MRCP; Completed Foundation years 1 and 2 or equivalent Training; Completed CMT years 1 and 2 or equivalent Training; At least 1 year UK experience
There are 3 Consultant Cardiologist and one Associate Specialist Cardiologist based on Tunbridge Wells site. The firm is supported by one Higher Specialist Trainee (this post), one Staff Grade (sub specialist interest – echo), two CMTs and two F1 doctors. There is in addition support from senior cardiac physiologists, radiographers and specialist nurses.
- Provision of in-patient care for Consultant’s patients, advice on cardiac problems for other teams
- Attendance at monthly Departmental Clinical Governance and Audit Meetings
- Attendance at weekly CMT teaching sessions and regional teaching “away days”
- To participate in a full shift system
- Attendance at out-patient clinics as appropriate
- Discharge summaries and follow up clinic letters as directed.
- Other duties as directed by the Clinical Director or designated Consultant for the care of patients
Depending on qualifications and experience, the post holder may be required to become involved in teaching, training and clinical supervision of other junior doctors and medical students. There is also the opportunity to carry out complex echo, coronary angiography, pacing and complex device therapy. A full EP service is also now established.
The appointee will take part in the registrar rota, along-side the other SpRs & middle grades doctors. This is partial shift on-call rota with 13 hour shifts with internal rotation onto nights. Nights are 4 nights (Monday to Thursday) and 3 nights (Friday to Sunday).
The post holder accepts that he/she will also perform duties in occasional emergencies and unforeseen circumstances at the request of the appropriate Consultant, in consultation where practicable with his/her colleagues both senior and junior. It has been agreed between the professions and the department that while juniors accept that they will perform such duties, the Secretary of State stresses that additional commitments arising under this sub-section and, in particular, that juniors should not be required to undertake work of this kind for prolonged periods or on a regular basis.
The ST post will take part in the GIM registrar rota. This is full shift on-call rota with 13 hour shifts with internal rotation onto nights. Nights are 4 nights (Monday to Thursday) and 3 nights (Friday to Sunday). The rota is EWTD compliant.
- General Internal Medicine: The post gives wide experience in GIM covering all areas of the Cardiology GIM curriculum. The post holder will be a part of the on-call medical rota on a full shift system. Whilst on-call they will be the senior resident member of the medical team and will provide leadership for the team. The post holder will participate in peri and post take ward rounds but will not be responsible for the ongoing care of GIM patients.
- Cardiology: The Trust’s cardiac department is based in both the Maidstone and the Tunbridge Wells sites. The post holder will be based on the Maidstone site. The postholder will work alongside a trust middle grade cardiologist as well as a junior cardiac team and specialist cardiac nurses.
- Non-invasive: ambulatory monitoring, exercise testing, echocardiography including stress echo, contrast echo, 3-D echo and TOE, CT coronary angiography. Pacing, BiV and ICD follow up
- Invasive: diagnostic angiography including right heart catheterisation. Reveal device implantation, bradycardia pacing and complex device implants. Electrophysiology studies and ablation. The appointee’s exact duties may vary by agreement within the team, according to availability, preferences and educational needs of this post-holder.
- On-Call: The ST post will take part in the registrar rota. This is full shift on-call rota with 13 hour shifts with internal rotation onto nights. Nights are 4 nights (Monday to Thursday) and 3 nights (Friday to Sunday). The rota is EWTD compliant.
Dr Siva Sivappriyan – College Tutor
Every trainee is allocated a qualified Educational Supervisor, who oversees their progress throughout their year rotation. A Clinical Supervisor is also appointed for each four month attachment. Every trainee is formally assessed through the Local Faculty Group Meetings that occur three times a year with formal or informal feedback as appropriate.
- Cardiology CCT
- Part of training towards CCT in Cardiology
All payscales can be found on the website below. The Trust is continually working with juniors to make sure all rotas are compliant. You will initially receive an offer letter followed by your contract. Should you require any additional information beforehand, please contact our Medical Staffing department by email.
Employee salaries are paid on the 24th of the month. If this falls on a weekend salaries will be paid on the last working day.
Health Education Kent, Surrey & Sussex Secondary Care
To return to Health Education Kent, Surrey & Sussex Secondary Care, click here