Trauma & Orthopaedics Overview
Higher Specialty Trauma & Orthopaedic Training is based at Maidstone Hospital and the Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury. All trauma and in-patient elective surgery is centered at Pembury which is a Level 2 Trauma Centre and a regional hub for Paediatric Orthopaedics. Day case surgery, Orthopaedic clinics and Fracture clinics is provided at Pembury and Maidstone.
- There are 15 Consultants with a wide variety of specialist interests and all also provide a general and subspecialty trauma service
- We have worked very hard to maintain the ‘firm’ structure within the Department and the vast majority of our Trainees surpass the gold standard number of cases of 400 per annum
- The Department has a very strong training ethos, being recent winners of the South East ‘Best T&O Training Centre’ Award. We have a good record of supporting Specialty Trainees through the Fellowship exams and beyond. Exam tuition and careers advice will be available
- As well as formal scheduled teaching, training is maximised during daily Consultant-led trauma meetings, ward rounds, orthopaedic & fracture Clinics, and elective & trauma operating lists
- There is also an active Research Unit and trainees will be encouraged to contribute to new and existing projects