Internal Medicine Training - IMT
Internal Medicine training is available at both Maidstone Hospital and the Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury. Both sites provide excellent general & specialty experience enabling the Trainee to achieve core competencies, complete the MRCP and develop a specialty interest including exposure to Acute & Emergency Medicine with full support.
- Internal Medicine stage 1 training (IMT1 and IMT2) programme involves doing six 4-monthly rotations over a two-year period in the two mandatory specialties including Geriatrics and Intensive Care Medicine and also key major specialities which can include, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Respiratory Medicine, Stroke Medicine Acute medicine .Frailty, oncology haematology and Diabetes & Endocrinology. After completing stage 1 trainees can apply for group 2 specialties. We also can provide taster experiences in neurology and renal medicine.
- IMT trainees planning to apply for group one specialities continue with Internal Medicine stage 2 (IMY3) training programme which would involves doing two 6-monthly rotations in the above-mentioned specialities excluding ICU oncology and haematology. Training at TWH can also include a rotation in acute Medicine and Neurology. At Maidstone the rotations can include stroke medicine and neurology .They would join medical registrar on call rota as a non-specialty registrar.
- Our trainees have been historically highly successful in achieving ST3/4 application first choices in group 1 and 2 specialties.
- We aim that all trainees should get plenty of exposure to acutely ill patients in a well-supported setting, and also have the opportunity to obtain more in-depth experience of a specialty of interest to them. There will also ample opportunities for undergraduate teaching as we have students from Kent and Medway medical school.
- We also offer specialist training in oncology haematology and neurology as a regional centre in the South-East.
- A very active training programme for all Trainees with protected teaching time, including dedicated IMT teaching separately for stage 1 (IMT1 and IMT2) and stage 2 trainees (IMY3), departmental teaching, grand rounds, radiology meetings, postgraduate lectures, weekly hot case discussions and MRCP teaching programme. There will also opportunities for trainees to be involved with any academic opportunities.