Medical Oncology Programme Overview
Medical Oncology training is available at the Kent Oncology Centre at Maidstone Hospital. We offer a flexible approach for Trainees with previous experience and specific training needs are considered prior to commencing the post. There are two Medical Oncology SpRs that rotate from London training programmes for six months.
- Three full-time Consultants and one part-time Consultant.
- Trainees are usually appointed to work with two of the Consultants.
- Opportunity to experience a range of tumour types including breast, colorectal, upper GI, lung and gynaecological.
- As the main cancer centre for the region, we visit District General Hospitals giving experience into running a Medical Oncology service in peripheral units.
- Training is centred on out-patient care but Trainees are involved with advising and reviewing Oncology patients, admitted under the medical teams throughout the region.
- There are established Acute Oncology Teams in all District General Hospitals, providing training in this area.
- Opportunity to gain experience in radiation treatment as a result of close team working with our Clinical Oncology colleagues.
- Formal teaching and journal clubs based at the centre and all Trainees are able to attend the teaching course of their choice.